Tuesday, May 08, 2007

STD Commercials or 30 Second Monogamy Lessons.

Okay, picture this scene. Close your eyes…go ahead…are they closed? Fibber! Your reading this aren’t you? If your eyes are closed then you wouldn’t be able to read this would you? Maybe, you have your computer set to read things like this to you…oohh…tricksy aren’t you? I’ll have to watch you more closely hmm…..
Anyway, the scene is this: You and your wife are watching TV, like the seasoned couch potatoes you are (mmmmmm…seasoned potatoes…mmmmmm), and during one of the frequent commercial breaks you see a commercial for medicine “X”. Medicine “X” is for repressing symptoms of some STD. Many times the side effects of medicine “X” are equally as bad as the disease it is designed to treat, but never mind that small inconvenience. These adverts usually involve 2 surprisingly attractive people, young, virile, contagious…infectious…
As I watch this product plug I just can’t help but think. “Wow, maybe if you could have just kept your pants on we all could have been spared the brief interlude into your debauchorus lives.” Sound harsh? It should! Listen, the simple fact is nearly all STDs would disappear from the face of the earth in maybe two generations if everyone remained abstinent until marriage and stayed monogamous ever thereafter, AIDS would cease to exist in the western world! The same holds true for almost all STDs.
I understand that people make mistakes, and please don’t read this and feel insulted if you do happen to have an STD. There are always mitigating circumstances to every situation, and understand I do not think that we should shun infected people to the fringes of society.
Just realize, and teach to your children this: If you and your partner are abstinent until marriage and remain faithful to each other you literally have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning while scuba diving with your favorite parrot than contracting an STD.

No comments: