***Begin Disclamer***
To those of you who were with me tonight please don't take this the wrong way. I had a great time and I will go back to Texas Land and Cattle any time you want, I just won't order steak. But I really did have a good time.
***End Disclamer***
Ok, now that we have that out of the way... To those of you who weren't with me tonight (which come to think of it would constitute the rest of humanity, so if you weren't there tonight AND you consider your self human then this section is for you. BUT if you were there I bet you'll read this any way... even though it's not for you ... shame on you ... you're still reading this aren't you? Move over! All the hordes of humanity are waiting in line to read this and you were there, so you know what happens already. And far be it from us to read it over your shoulder, then we'll be getting the heavy sigh signifying "stop that" before long and ... what's that ... oh, yes the subject. Right, well then. Moving along.)
My wife and I along with My brother-in-Law (for simplicity I will just refer to him as my brother) and his girlfriend went out to the local Texas Land And Cattle restaurant here. The place is nice, the atmosphere is rustic but plush, and the food is reputed to be great. Now this being my first time in said establishment I decide to order a steak. Why? Because I like steak ... this is a steak house ... why am I forced to explain these things to you? This is simple supply and demand, I want steak, they have steak. End of story.
But when the aforementioned steak arrives at my table I was wondering what those two pieces of brisket were doing on my plate in place of the steak I had ordered. I was fully prepared to listen to a long explanation of how they where somehow out of serloin but the brisket is delicious and they were sure I would like it if I gave it a try. But no, the waitress placed my plate in front of me as if that was what I had ordered and briskly walked away. I was a bit perturbed that no one had seemed to notice that I was paying for a steak but getting a couple of thick brisket slices instead. I mentioned this to my brother and he casually informed me "that is how they make their steak here."
Sure enough he had ordered a steak as well and on his plate there were three pieces that so closely resembled brisket I was hard pressed to not think of them as such.
I have worked in a nice restaurant before, we cut our own steaks from whole sides of beef. I know what a serloin looks like, I know the texture, the grain, and the shape. And the moment I took a bite of my "steak" The only thing I could think of was "Bull Crap this is steak! This is brisket! What kind of yankee do they think I am? Even most yanks know the difference in brisket and steak!"
Now, don't get me wrong. It was good. But it wasn't steak. It was a couple of extra thick pieces of spicy brisket. I liken it to asking for a watermelon snow cone and the guy giving you some flavoring in the bottom of a Styrofoam cup. The flavor is there but without the ice for sensation and texture what's the use? And of course you have to pay full price, you're only paying for the cup after all.
I finished my meal mostly enjoying my brisket and then I paid for a steak. I am no longer hungry, but man I need a REAL steak.
All in all, I had a great evening. I got to hang out with my brother which I don't get to do much, and I got to spend time with the wife, which is always enjoyable. But I learned a hard lesson: Don't play with matches.
No, wait ... that's not it. Oh yes, Moral: If you want a steak and life gives you brisket ... shut up and eat it. Because every one else is eating brisket too.
I am not to sure how good of a moral that is but it's the best I can do under the circumstances.
Thursday, September 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hey, that's what you get for trying something new. Always stick with what you know.
Ha :-)
Hey,
That's what you get for trying something new. Always stick with what you know.
Ha :-)
Post a Comment